Families must be income eligible at the time they apply.

As of 4/1/2024, the monthly income limits for the HCV program in Josephine County are:

Number of persons in the Family

Monthly Gross

















This is based on gross income (before taxes and deductions). Income is all money that comes into the household on behalf of the family. It includes, but is not limited to: wages, TANF, child support, unemployment, Social Security and SSI, self employment, pensions, and regular contributions from someone outside your household. Earned income from persons under 18 is not considered.


Applications can be picked up at the Housing Council office during business hours. You can also call or email us and ask to have an application mailed to you. You will need to give us your complete name and mailing address. Applications will not be emailed.
Click here to request an application.

If you need help filling out the application, let us know. We will schedule an appointment with Housing Council staff to help you.

Complete and return the application to our office during business hours. We will review the application to make sure you have filled out everything. You can also mail the application back or if the office is closed, put it through the drop slot to the right of the front window. If there is missing information or signatures, we will contact you and give you time to provide what is necessary.

The Housing Council waiting list is first come, first served. There is no emergency assistance. Families are taken off the waiting list in application date and time order.


At the time you apply, you will need to make sure you list a physical address and a mailing address on your application. If your mailing address changes after you turned in your application, you will need to contact us to update the information. You can do this in person, by phone, or by email.

All family members who are on the application will be required to provide proof of their Social Security number. You can apply for a card here. There are some community resources that might be able to help you apply for a replacement card. You can reach the United Community Action Network at 541-956-4050 or by visiting their website at http://www.ucancap.org/

Effective 6-28-2024, eligible applicants who applied through 02-13-2024 have been pulled off the waiting list for final processing.

When your application comes to the top of the list, you will notified by mail. You will complete the eligibility process and if you are eligible, will be issued a voucher. The voucher enables you to find a unit to rent with assistance.


When you reach the top of the list, you will need to provide additional documentation. PLEASE REVIEW THIS CAREFULLY SO YOU WILL HAVE EVERYTHING BY THE TIME YOU COME TO THE TOP OF THE LIST. The sooner the Housing Council receives everything necessary, the sooner your file can be processed.

  1. All adults in the household (18 years of age and older) must provide an acceptable photo ID such as a driver’s license, an Oregon ID card, a student ID, passport or military ID.
  2. Everyone in the household must provide proof of citizenship. This includes an official birth certificate, passport, certificate of citizenship or a naturalization certificate.
  3. Pay stubs for at least the last 6 months for all family members who are working and the complete name and address (or fax number) for all employers.
  4. Complete bank statements (including all pages) from all bank accounts for at least the last 6 months.
    A transaction report does not satisfy this requirement.
  5. A copy of any divorce decrees you may have had.


How long will I have to wait after I apply?

We don’t know the exact wait time. It depends on funding and how many people who currently have vouchers drop off the program.

What if I need assistance right now? What if I’m homeless? Disabled?

The Housing Council does not have emergency assistance. Applicants who were living in our jurisdiction when they applied will be helped before those who were not.

What if I live in a “HUD” house, can I get assistance sooner?

There are no “HUD” houses. You may be living in a unit where the landlord had an assisted tenant and is willing to take another one. You need to have the assistance before the Housing Council can help with your rent.

If I apply in Josephine County, can I transfer my place on the wait list to another housing authority?

No. You cannot transfer your place on the waitlist.

Can I transfer my assistance once I come to the top of the list and have a voucher?

If you were a resident of Josephine County when you applied to the waiting list, when you receive your voucher you should be eligible to transfer to another area.

Once I reach the top of the list, am I guaranteed assistance?

No. You can be denied eligibility for giving false information on your application. You can also be denied if you are over income or if members of your household have been involved in certain drug-related or violent criminal activity or are on a deny list from any housing authority.

Can I receive assistance if I’m single?

Yes. A single person is considered a family. All eligible families are brought to the top of the list on a first come, first served basis.