RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JHCDC, OWNER, AND ASSISTED FAMILIES:
The JHCDC depends on a cooperative relationship between the JHCDC, assisted family and owner or property manager. The program is designed to maintain the regular owner and tenant relationship. Our main purpose is to subsidize families’ rents; all other aspects of the lease agreement must be resolved between the landlord and the tenant. The following summarizes the roles of each party:
The JHCDC’s Responsibilities:
- Review all applicants to determine families’ eligibility for the program.
- Explain the rules of the program to families and property owners/managers.
- Issue vouchers to families.
- Inspect the assisted units for compliance with housing quality standards.
- Approve the unit, owner and lease.
- Make housing assistance payments to the owner in a timely manner.
- Re-examine the family’s income and composition annually and adjust the rent and process changes in rent portions when income of family composition changes.
- Ensure owners and families comply with the program rules.
- Provide prompt, professional service to owners and tenant families.
The Owner’s Responsibilities:
- Thoroughly screen and interview families who apply.
- Maintain the property by making necessary repairs in a timely manner.
- Collect application fees, security deposits and tenant’s monthly rent portion.
- Manage the property and enforces the lease.
- Comply with the terms of the Housing Assistance Payment Contract and HUD Tenancy addendum.
- Comply with all fair housing laws and not improperly discriminate against any family.
- Notify the JHCDC if a tenant vacates the unit and return the housing assistance payments received after a family vacates a unit.
- Notify the JHCDC of any owner change immediately so payment to the new landlord will not be delayed.
The Family’s Responsibilities:
- Provide the JHCDC with complete and accurate information pertaining to the family income and composition.
- Report changes in income and family composition that happens throughout the year.
- Locate a suitable unit and pay security deposit and application fee to the owner.
- Attend scheduled appointments and return documents on time.
- Maintain the property and repairs and damages beyond normal wear and tear.
- Comply with the terms of the lease.
- Pay their portion of rent on time to the owner.
- Comply with all family obligations under the Housing Choice Voucher program
If you would like us to mail you a copy of our Landlord Handbook or a sample copy of the Housing Assistance Payment contract, click here.